Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2006/07


Whitehawk 7 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Monday 7th May 2007

Sidley United's campaign ended on a disappointing note as they were soundly beaten at Whitehawk on Bank Holiday Monday, meaning they finished the 2006/07 season in 14th place. 

The fixture got off to a rather low key start despite the fact that the home side were chasing the title at the start of play, although they ended up missing out to Eastbourne Town. For Sidley, playing just 48 hours after overcoming Redhill with 10 men for much of the game, appeared to be too much.

But after Warren Buss put Whitehawk in front on 25 minutes the floodgates opened against a tired Sidley side which had played so many games in such a short space of time.

Aaron Gunn made it 2 - 0 on 36 minutes and Craig Bunch added a third a minute before half time to all but end the contest.

Ashley Carr and Toby Phillips scored within the first five minutes of the second half before Stuart Garrod weighed in with the sixth on the hour mark. Phillips completed the scoring with 20 minutes to go as Whitehawk consigned Sidley to their biggest defeat of the season.

Sidley Team: Saunders, J Wood (Witham), Aston (Manning), Henham, L Wood, Henty, L Miles, S Morris (McEniry), Baker, McDonald, Honey.

Redhill 1 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 5th May 2007

Sidley United overcame the sending off of Lewis Parsons to record an excellent win at Redhill. 

The Blues went into the game without 13 first team squad members and they lost Parsons to a straight red card early on in the contest when he tugged back a Redhill player who was clean through on goal with the linesman appearing to be the chief instigator in the decision to dismiss him.

The dismissal prompted Sidley into a change of shape and for a few minutes they struggled against a physical Redhill side but after re-establishing themselves, Sidley took the lead just past the half hour mark as Scott McDonald tucked away a Peter Baker cross.

Redhill came close to grabbing an equaliser almost immediately but Jon Saunders pulled off an excellent save to keep them at bay. However he could do nothing to keep out a thumping header from man mountain James Hall soon after the restart.

The home side were enjoying plenty of the ball but struggled to create a clear cut opportunity against a well organised defence. And Sidley's hard work was rewarded in the closing 10 minutes as McDonald restored their lead, half volleying home Liam Miles' cross before Baker did likewise four minutes later, thumping home a far post volley.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Henty, Parsons, Henham, J Wood, Aston (Manning), K Miles, S Morris, Vinall (L Miles), Baker, McDonald.

Chichester City 2 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 28th April 2007

Sidley's hectic end of the season continued with a hard fought draw down at Chichester. 

Blues have included a number of youngsters who have come up from the Under 18 side in recent weeks and the young guns gave a creditable showing again at Chichester's Church Road. They also had to cope with a double enforced change as Lee Wood and goalkeeper Peter Newstead both picked up injuries and had to be replaced.

Sidley fell behind on 22 minutes as Ian Saunders powered in a header from a corner but Chris Honey levelled when he turned home a cross from the left by Peter Baker on the stroke of half time.

Chichester hit the crossbar immediately after the restart and eventually did re-take the lead on the hour mark as Scott Murfin's shot was deflected into his own net by Lewis Parsons.

But Sidley showed great character to emerge with a point as Jack Aston equalised on 65 minutes, firing through a crowd of legs to ensure Blues returned home with a point. 

Sidley Team: Newstead (Saunders), Tudor, Henham, L Wood (McEniry), Parsons, Witham, Aston, K Miles, Manning (J Wood), Baker, Honey.

Ringmer 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Thursday 26th April 2007

Sidley United claimed a pleasing point with an entertaining draw at Ringmer on Thursday night. 

The Blues took the early initiative with Scott McDonald, Chris Honey and Owen Ball all going close before McDonald did strike when he raced onto Honey's flick on and buried a half volley past Ringmer stopper Matt May.

The home side came into the game more during the rest of the first period without really troubling Jon Saunders in the Sidley goal playing in place of the unavailable Peter Newstead.

Ringmer made a triple substitution around the hour mark in an attempt to inject some more life into their play and it wasn't long before they levelled the scores. Miles Scerri mopped up after Saunders had spilled a routine cross into the box.

Sidley responded well and might have won it late on when substitute Jake Munro-Ellis, promoted from the under 18's side, went close with a header from a Dave Henham free kick.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Henty, Tudor, Whiteman, L Wood, Witham (Munro-Ellis), Ball, Parsons, L Miles (Manning), McDonald, Honey.

Hailsham Town 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Monday 23rd April 2007

Sidley United went down to 'bogey' side Hailsham on Monday with a fourth defeat to the Stringers this season.

Hailsham began strongly and had the better opportunities in the opening 10 minutes but after the Blues weathered that storm, they began to create some chances of their own.

Scott McDonald was denied when one-on-one with the goalkeeper while Chris Honey and Owen Ball both went close while Honey was also brought down on the edge of the area when he was just about to unleash a shot.

But the game swung with quarter of an hour to go as Alexander's shot was deemed to have crossed the line by the linesman after bouncing down off the crossbar, although the Sidley defence were adamant that it hadn't. 

That goal knocked the stuffing out of Sidley somewhat and Danny Leach made sure of the win 5 minutes later with a spectacular effort past Peter Newstead. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, Witham, Tudor, L Wood, Henham, L Miles, Parsons, Ball, Vinall (Henty), McDonald, Honey.

Sidley United 0 - 1 Hassocks - SCFL Division One - Saturday 21st April 2007

The Blues went down courtesy of a penalty in a home match switched to Hassocks due to the unavailability of Gullivers. 

The main moment of the match occurred 15 minutes in when Anthony Hibbert was pushed inside the area by a stumbling Mark Funnell and the referee pointed to the spot. Hibbert picked himself up and converted the resulting spot kick.

Sidley felt they should have been awarded a penalty of their own in the second half when a defender appeared to scoop the ball back as it was shot across the Hassocks goal-line but the referee clearly didn't see the infringement.

The Blues had plenty of the ball after the interval but a lack of cutting edge meant they struggled to create many opportunities. The best they could muster was Nick Whiteman's header which cleared the crossbar.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty, Witham, Whiteman, L Wood, Day (Brown), Ball, Funnell, Vinall, S Morris, Honey.

Sidley United 0 - 2 East Preston - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 18th April 2007

The injury hit Blues were beaten at home by East Preston as the fixture congestion continues to take its toll. 

With Gullivers now in the hands of the cricket club the game was played at the home of Wealden FC. Sidley were behind inside 12 minutes when Phil Churchill converted a penalty conceded by Blues' goalkeeper Peter Newstead. Newstead atoned for that miscalculation by producing a trio of top class saves to keep the Blues within touching distance.

Dale Vinall then struck the crossbar from 30 yards while Steve Morris and Scott McDonald both had efforts well saved in the first half.

After the break Mark Funnell had a couple of chances while Morris shot wide when he might have squared to the better placed McDonald.

East Preston won another penalty but Newstead kept out Sonny Banks' effort but the result was sealed when Dan Walker struck the visitors second goal in the 82nd minute.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman (Saunders), Ball, Henham (L Miles), L Wood, Parsons, Funnell, Witham, Vinall, S Morris, McDonald.

Sidley United 1 - 4 Eastbourne Town - SCFL Division One - Monday 16th April 2007

Sidley United pushed promotion chasing Eastbourne Town all the way with a valiant performance on Monday night.

Blues set up more like the away side, content to get bodies behind the ball although they had taken a surprise lead through Scott McDonald on 26 minutes when he swept home a fine ball in from Dale Vinall who enjoyed a largely impressive debut on the right of midfield.

Sidley then withstood a barrage of set pieces and long throw ins until first half stoppage time when Vinall missed his kick, allowing Graham Holman to equalise.

The Blues had two good chances at the start of the second half as Vinall skewed wide when well place and Steve Morris' glancing header from a Darren Witham free kick flashed just wide.

But Town went ahead in the 77th minute as Greg Manton ran fully 50 yards before driving home and a Witham own goal four minutes later made it 3 - 1. The fourth goal followed with 5 minutes to go as the ball trickled in off Lewis Parsons after Peter Newstead had saved well from Eastbourne's Liam Baitup.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Parsons, Witham, Henham, L Wood, K Miles (Manning), S Morris, Funnell, Brown, Vinall, McDonald.

Sidley United 2 - 1 Oakwood - SCFL Division One - Saturday 14th April 2007

Sidley United secured safety for another season thanks to a brace of goals from Chris Honey. 

The Blues could have been three goals to the good by the time they did eventually notch in the 10th minute when Honey rounded off a flowing move with a header from Keith Miles' cross.

Steve Morris, Miles and Scott McDonald all went close before the break and after half time Miles and Mark Funnell both blazed over from close range.

Oakwood equalised on 65 minutes when David Neathey scored from the penalty spot after Paul Henty had been penalised for a push in the area.

But Honey grabbed the winner in the final minute with a superb finish after bypassing a couple of defenders and then expertly lobbing the onrushing Oakwood goalkeeper.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Witham, Henham, Henty, L Wood, Funnell, S Morris (L Miles), McDonald, Balch (Tudor), K Miles, Honey.

Rye United 0 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 11th April 2007

Two second half goals won the Blues the local derby in a match that ended 9 against 10.

Blues appeared up against it as Graham Morris failed failed late fitness test to join fellow absentees Peter Newstead, Peter Baker, Owen Ball, Nick Whiteman, Jimmy Watson, Jordan Wood and Chris Honey.

Although Rye probably had more of the game, Sidley played the better football and almost went in front as Micky O'Callaghan turned the ball past his own goalkeeper but the offside flag denied Blues the lead.

At the other end Marc Gall fired over and Andy Garman was denied by a last ditch block by Lee Wood and a Chris Gould lo was easily saved by the impressive Jon Saunders in the Sidley goal. 

Sidley took the lead on 52 minutes as Keith Miles' cross was met by a perfect looping header by Mark Funnell. 

Ten minutes later home goalkeeper and former Blue Jon Gardner was sent off for handling Miles' lobbed shot outside of his area before another major flashpoint saw two more reds brandished.

An ugly bout of wrestling between Blues' Keith Miles and Rye's O'Callaghan saw both shown straight reds and both players had to be escorted to the changing rooms as the feud seemed set to continue off the pitch.

With space to play in and a one man advantage, Sidley made sure of the points on 73 minutes as Adam Day headed in Paul Henty's cross.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Henty, Witham, Henham, L Wood, Day (L Miles), Balch, K Miles, McDonald, Funnell, S Morris (Tudor).

Sidley United 2 - 3 Wick - SCFL Division One - Monday 9th April 2007

The extent of the backlog of fixtures seemed to catch up with Sidley United's players on Monday, losing both the game and players to injury.

The Blues made a bright start to the Bank Holiday fixture and Steve Morris gave them a deserved lead on 40 minutes when he swept home Chris Honey's cross.

But the advantage only lasted 2 minutes as Wick levelled via the unmarked Asa Nicholson. The Blues hit the front again five minutes into the second period as Scott McDonald finished off a great move after the ball came to him from Morris.

Again though Sidley weren't in front for long as Tom Manton punished their failure to deal with a long ball on 55 minutes. And the visitors grabbed the winner 5 minutes later as Aaron Meehan scrambled the ball home to condemn Sidley to defeat on a night when they also lost Owen Ball and Graham Morris to injury.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Playford, Ball (K Miles), Henty, Day, Parsons, McDonald, Funnell, G Morris (Witham), Honey, S Morris.

Crowborough Athletic 2 - 1 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup Final - Friday 6th April 2007

A Chris Honey goal after 8 minutes proved a false dawn as Crowborough won the cup with goals from Craig Bishop and Ross Treleaven.

The Blues went into the match as underdogs but took the lead as Honey headed home Scott McDonald's cross. They could have gone ahead just before the goal but Paul Balch wasted a glorious opportunity when well placed.

However after taking the lead Sidley seemed strangely subdued with too many players never clicking into gear. 

Crowborough composed themselves and, after Peter Newstead had made a good save to deny them, they levelled in the 29th minute through a towering far post header by Bishop although Sidley will be disappointed they didn't do more to shut down the cross into the box.

Soon after a mistake by Dave Henham, attemping to head the ball back to Newstead, let in Treleaven who executed a clinical chip over the onrushing Blues goalkeeper to put Crowborough into the lead. Sidley were further hampered when top scorer Peter Baker had to be substituted after suffering a dead leg in a challenge. 

Sidley worked hard to get back into the game and the closest they came was a spectacular overhead kick from McDonald which was tipped over by Rob Gordon.

The second half lacked the excitement of the first although Newstead made sure that Treleaven didn't add any further goals with a couple of very smart saves. As Crowborough celebrated at the final whistle, Sidley were left to concentrate on ensuring they stay away from the relegation zone in the league.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henham (Parsons), Ball, Henty, G Morris, Balch (Witham), Funnell, Day, McDonald, Baker (S Morris), Honey.

Sidley United 0 - 1 Crowborough Athletic - SCFL Division One - Monday 2nd April 2007

The dress rehearsal for Friday's John O Hara cup final went in favour of Crowborough Athletic on Monday night thanks to a late Simon Colbran header. 

The opening 40 minutes produced only the occasional effort on target from both sides before Crowborough appeared certain to open the scoring when Colbran was presented with an open goal only to be dispossessed by Nick Whiteman's superbly timed challenge from behind.

The second half produced more in the way of goalmouth action and Peter Baker and Scott McDonald both failed to make the most of good opportunities with only visiting goalkeeper Robert Gordon to beat. They also hit the post when a ball into the box was deflected by defender Craig Bishop with the ball rebounding into the arms of Gordon.

But Crowborough struck the decisive goal on 78 minutes as an umarked Colbran met a corner to head beyond Peter Newstead and secure the Crows a win which just about keeps them in contention for the title. The two sides will meet again on Friday at Ringmer's Caburn Ground to battle it out for the John O Hara cup trophy.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty (S Morris), Playford, Henham, Whiteman, G Morris, Day, Balch, Honey, McDonald, Baker.

Sidley United 0 - 2 Whitehawk - SCFL Division One - Saturday 31st March 2007

Sidley United suffered a home defeat to title chasing Whitehawk in almost exactly the same manner as the two sides met last year.

The Blues started well enough and possibly shaded the first half although neither goalkeeper was required to make a save. The closest the Blues came was when Darren Witham's shot flew wide of the far post.

There was controversy surrounding the opening goal though as Blues felt that Matt Allen was standing in an offside position but the officials didn't give it and Allen duly converted to give Whitehawk a 52nd minute lead.

That knocked the stuffing out of the Blues who never really looked like equalising thereafter and it was little surprise when Whitehawk doubled their lead in the 86th minute. Allen was again the scorer as he prodded home at the second attempt after Peter Newstead had initially kept out his point blank effort.

A Chris Honey header was comfortably saved by the visiting goalkeeper in Sidley's only real attempt on goal in the second half.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty, Witham (J Wood), Henham, Whiteman, G Morris, McDonald, Balch, Baker, S Morris.

Sidley United 1 - 1 Eastbourne United Association - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 28th March 2007

Sidley United were left to rue the failure to convert a number of chances as they were held to a home draw by Eastbourne United Association. 

The Blues went in front inside a quarter of an hour when Chris Honey flicked on a throw in for Peter Baker to superbly fire home on the turn.

They could have added further goals before the break but Paul Balch smashed a half volley straight at visiting goalkeeper Sam Reed from six yards out and Baker dragged an effort wide when clean through on goal.

Two minutes after the restart though Sidley perhaps were lucky not to concede a penalty when Dave Henham appeared to handle the ball in the area. 

Chances were fairly thin on the ground at either end until Baker missed another presentable opportunity. Those misses ended up proving costly when Eastbourne levelled with 20 minutes to go as Ben Billings got the better of Balch and pulled the ball back across goal for Nathan Crabb to slide home.

Sidley nearly stole the win they would have deserved with around 5 minutes remaining but Reed did well to keep out Chris Honey's looping header.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, Henty, Henham, Witham, Balch, G Morris (Aston), Funnell, Honey, McDonald, Baker.

Sidley United 2 - 0 Littlehampton Town - SCFL Division One - Saturday 24th March 2007

A goal in each half helped Sidley United to a comfortable win over relegation threatened Littlehampton Town on Saturday. 

After the euphoria of overcoming Eastbourne Town on Wednesday night this was a more workmanlike performance but the Blues will be pleased to maintain their winning form.

The visitors signalled their intentions from the off, playing with just a lone forward which meant Jon Saunders in the Sidley goal was called upon only once to keep out a free header.

Sidley opened the scoring on the half hour mark as Paul Balch followed up to score after Graham Morris' initial effort had been blocked on the line.

The second goal didn't arrive until 10 minutes from time when Chris Honey retained possession despite being fouled and the referee played a good advantage which allowed Jordan Wood to deliver the ball back to the edge of the box where Scott McDonald executed a terrific half volley which gave the goalkeeper no chance.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Playford (Aston), Henham, Henty, Witham (Harrison), G Morris, Balch, J Wood, McDonald, Baker, Honey (McEniry).

Eastbourne Town 1 - 1 Sidley United AET (Sidley United win 4 - 3 on penalties) - John O Hara Cup Semi Final - Wednesday 21st March 2007

Sidley United progressed to the John O Hara cup final after overcoming Eastbourne Town on penalties. 

The two sides, playing at Hailsham Town's Beaconsfield ground, were well matched with little to choose between the sides throughout. Sidley went close in the first half as Peter Baker turned the Town defence but couldn't quite capitalise on the chance.

However in the second half Town went ahead on 75 minutes with a well worked goal, finished off by Steve Dallaway.

But Sidley kept going and they forced extra time right at the end as Nick Whiteman struck with almost the last kick of the game. And after another goalless half an hour, it went to spot kicks.

Peter Baker, Scott McDonald, Steve Morris and Stuart Playford all scored for the Blues while Peter Newstead made two critical saves against a Town side pushing for the title to seal the win and Sidley's first Sussex cup final since 2003.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Playford, Henham, Whiteman, Witham (S Morris), Funnell, Parsons, Honey, McDonald, Balch, Baker.

Arundel 0 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th March 2007

Sidley United rediscovered their mean streak with a dogged display as they claimed a point at top five side Arundel. 

The return of some important players no doubt helped the Blues, who were the better side in the opening half and were only prevented from taking the lead when Darren Witham's tremendous 25 yard effort crashed back off the crossbar.

Scott McDonald also went close while Chris Honey shaved the post with a header and fired just over when he slid to meet Josh Brown's cross.

Arundel came back into the contest after the break with the wind at their backs although they rarely threatened the Sidley goal. Only a couple of corners had to be defended with Peter Newstead largely untroubled. The tough tackling of Nick Whiteman and Lewis Parsons clearly helped the confidence among the Sidley players who enjoyed a rare positive evening, albeit only coming away with a point.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty, Witham, Henham, Whiteman, Parsons, Balch, Brown, McDonald, Baker, Honey.

Hassocks 6 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 13th March 2007

It was a night to forget for the Blues as they crashed to a heavy defeat to Hassocks, conceding five before half time.

Blues actually made a good start with Peter Baker and Scott McDonald having half chances but it started to unravel after just 7 minutes as a Phil Gault shot ricocheted off Dave Henham and past Peter Newstead in the Sidley goal.

A deflected effort from Matt Robins made it 2 before Gault completed a first half hat-trick with a free header and a low finish before Hassocks' 5th arrived through Peter Lear's header which Jordan Wood on the line couldn't keep out.

While the second half saw a better showing from the Blues, the home side completed the scoring on 64 minutes when Anthony Hibbert converted a penalty after a foul by Newstead. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henham, Temple (McEniry), Whiteman, K Miles (Aston), L Miles (Brown), Parsons, J Wood, Witham, Mcdonald, Baker. 

Sidley United 2 - 4 Redhill - SCFL Division One - Saturday 10th March 2007

An off colour Sidley United slumped to a first defeat in 6 matches on Saturday. 

The visitors arrived late and, unwilling to rush their warm up, the game kicked off 15 minutes late. When it did get going the visitors raced into a two goal lead with two headers from Luke Jones.

Three minutes into the second half and things got worse for the Blues when Billy Jackson made it 3 - 0. Sidley then brought on new signing Chris Honey and the striker had an immediate effect. 

Honey flicked on a ball into the path of Scott Mcdonald whose precise finish was chalked off by the offside flag. McDonald did grab a goal back though when he stooped to nod home the rebound after Mark Funnell's long range strike had cannoned off the crossbar. 

A curling Peter Baker effort was well saved minutes later but Redhill wrapped up the points when Michael Beale's cross from the right evaded everyone and ended up in the back of the net. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, McEniry (L Miles), Witham (Harrison), Henham, G Morris (Honey), Funnell, K Miles, J Wood,  Parsons, McDonald, Baker. 

Sidley United 1 - 1 Worthing United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 3rd March 2007

Sidley United were left to reflect on a number of missed opportunities as they were held to a draw by Worthing United.

On a pudding of a pitch, Sidley took the lead through leading marksman Peter Baker on 22 minutes as he fired home after good link up play by Graham Morris and Scott McDonald.

Sidley were dominant and Baker, McDonald and Morris were all denied by Sam Figg in the Worthing goal. However at the start of the second half, Sidley's lethargic start allowed Gavin Geddes to head home Worthing's first serious effort on 60 minutes. 

The equaliser stung the Blues back into action and McDonald was denied no less than five times while Nick Whiteman and Jordan Wood were also denied by the in-form Figg as Sidley had to settle for a point.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball (McEniry), Henham, Whiteman, Witham, Parsons, G Morris, K Miles, Harrison (J Wood), Mcdonald, Baker. 

East Preston 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th February 2007

A patched up Sidley side chalked up their first success on the road of the calendar year with an excellent win at fifth placed East Preston.

Richard Harrison and Paul Balch were called up from the Reserve side and they slotted seamlessly into the team while Lewis Parsons was solid in the holding midfield role and Mark Funnell enjoyed his best game since rejoining the club earlier in the campaign.

Roy Pook struck the crossbar early on for East Preston but most of their efforts came from distance and didn't give Peter Newstead too much to do thereafter. Sidley's best moments were a Peter Baker strike which was ruled out for an offside against Scott McDonald before Balch's driven effort flashed just over.

The Blues were the better side after the break though and they grabbed the all important goal on 52 minutes as Balch won possession in midfield and found Darren Witham whose cross was met by a looping header by Baker which was just out of the reach of home goalkeeper Tom Rand.

Rand denied McDonald not long afterwards and although East Preston came forward late on, Sidley held on pretty comfortably for the win.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Witham, Harrison, Whiteman, Ball (Miles), Henham, Balch, Parsons, Baker, McDonald, Funnell.

Sidley United 4 - 4 Three Bridges - SCFL Division One - Saturday 10th February 2007

It was an incredible match at the Gullivers as Sidley finally got back to a 3pm kick off after their floodlights passed its test this week.

Adam Day gave Sidley a 10th minute lead when he dug the ball out of the mud and executed a delightful 20 yard chip before Mark Funnell put Sidley two up with a thumping header soon afterwards.

But the visitors turned the game on it's head with 4 goals in 17 minutes. Liam Aherne's deflected shot left Blues goalkeeper Peter Newstead stranded on 30 minutes before two goals in as many minutes had Bridges in front at the interval. First Aaron Hay equalised with a shot from the edge of the area before Aherne claimed his second in controversial fashion with Sidley calling for the ball to be put out of play for the injured Adam Day to receive treatment.

Hay grabbed his second just a couple of minutes into the second half to put Bridges 4 - 2 up and they should have gone further clear when they awarded a penalty for a clear foul by Dave Henham but Michael Death struck the post rather than the back of the net with the spot kick.

That miss seemed to rejuvinate Sidley who won a penalty of their own when Peter Baker was chopped down and the same player got up to make no mistake from 12 yards before Scott McDonald equalised just a few moments afterwards to restore parity.

Both side had chances to win the game with Mark Funnell, Baker and Steve Morris all going close for Sidley while Newstead pulled off a top drawer save to ensure that Bridges were kept out at the other end.

A pulsating match which could have swung either way though ended with a point apiece.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, Henham, Whiteman, Brown (Witham), Day (Miles), Funnell, S Morris, Parsons, Baker, McDonald.

Sidley United 3 - 2 Pagham (AET) - John O Hara Cup Quarter Final - Saturday 3rd February 2007

Sidley United came through this tie with a dramatic penalty in the last minute of extra time to set up a semi final against either Arundel or Eastbourne Town.

The loss of a number of midfielders meant that Sidley had to play forwards Peter Baker, Scott McDonald and Keith Miles in midfield in support of lone striker Jordan Wood.

But the Blues played some excellent football in the first half with Adam Day paticularly outstanding. They took the lead after 18 minutes as McDonald was released by Steve Morris and he finished coolly.

McDonald notched his and Sidley's second when he met Baker's pinpoint cross and found the net with a side foot volley.

At half time Morris was replaced as a precaution and the player he had been marking, Martin, headed Pagham back into the contest two minutes after the interval.

Lacking aerial strength in the side, Sidley conceded another set piece as Heller equalised 15 minutes from time. But the visitors seemed content to take the game to extra time rather than go for the jugular. 

Pagham continued to play four at the back against a half fit Wood and Baker made them pay when he was needlessly fouled in the final moments and he stepped up himself to slot home and put the Blues into the semi final.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Brown (J Wood), Day, Whiteman, Henham, Ball, Watson (Miles), Funnell, Baker, McDonald, S Morris (Witham).

Sidley United 1 - 0 Lingfield - John O Hara Cup Third Round - Tuesday 30th January 2007

Sidley United needed a stoppage time goal from Scott McDonald to defeat Second Division Lingfield.

It was in truth a poor performance from the Blues who were lucky not to be behind inside 15 minutes as the visitors twice hit the post through Steve Willis' 20 yard drive and then Dan Gillard's attempted clipped finish.

The visitors had to play outfield player Chris Arrow in goal due to an injury to their regular number one and Mark Funnell eventually forced him into a save after the break.

But the Blues really only started making opportunities for themselves in the last 20 minutes and they made one count in the first minute of stoppage time as Adam Day's ball in found McDonald unmarked to head home and secure Sidley's passage into the next round.

Immediately prior to that McDonald should really have scored when he fired wide with only the goalkeeper to beat while substitute Joe Cornwall also sliced wide from 6 yards.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henham, G Morris, Whiteman, Day, Willard, Funnell, Ball (Parsons), McDonald, Baker (Miles), J Wood (Cornwall).

Selsey 3 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 20th January 2007

Sidley United slumped to defeat to Selsey on Saturday with a disappointing performance.

But the hosts took the lead in controversial circumstances in the 19th minute. Owen Ball was two to three times denied permission to return to the pitch after receiving treatment due to a very small amount of blood on his lip.

And while Ball was off the pitch, Selsey struck as Dave Storey was allowed to turn and his shot from the edge of the penalty area found the Sidley net, despite not being cleanly struck.

Sidley had to make a double change as Josh Brown and Steve Morris both picked up injuries in the first half hour but they went on to enjoy a dominant spell but found the equalising goal elusive.

And late on Selsey made sure of the win as Daren Pearce made it 2 - 0 in the 85th minute when he capped a quick break.

The Blues went down to 10 men when Dave Henham hobbled off after all three substitutions had been used and Paul Lee got the third a minute from time by thumping home from the edge of the centre circle after a mis-kick by Sidley's young goalkeeper Richard Abson-Bennett.

Sidley Team: Abson-Bennett, Ball (Miles), Brown (J Wood), Henham, G Morris, Whiteman, Day, Willard, Baker, McDonald, S Morris (Witham).

Hailsham Town 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFA RUR Cup Quarter Final - Saturday 13th January 2007

Sidley United suffered a third defeat of the season to Hailsham Town as they were knocked out of the SCFA RUR cup.

The first half was goal-less but mainly thanks to Peter Newstead who twice denied the dangerous Danny Leach while at the other end Sidley had a couple of dangerous moments via Owen Ball and Scott McDonald.

But in the second half two goals in the space of 6 minutes took the game away from Sidley. First Scott French drilled in a fine effort into the bottom hand corner of the net on 62 minutes.

The second Hailsham goal had a touch of luck about it as Leach's shot took a wicked deflection off of Nick Whiteman and looped over the stranded Newstead. Dave Henham missed a glorious chance for Sidley in between the two goals going in when he fired over from only a few yards out.

Graham Morris did grab a Sidley goal with 10 minutes to go when he headed home Adam Day's free kick which had been flicked on. And Sidley could have taken the game to extra time but McDonald was torn between passing or shooting when in a great position and in the end did neither.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball (Witham), Brown (Watson), Henham, G Morris, Whiteman, Day, Willard, McDonald, Miles (J Wood), S Morris.

Sidley United 4 - 2 Shoreham - SCFL Division One - Saturday 30th December 2006

Sidley United bounced back from the disappointing Boxing day by staging a dramatic comeback against Shoreham.

The Blues' floodlight problems meant the match was brought forward an hour, a move which also probably helped the game beat the weather.

Sidley went close through Adam Day, making his first start of the season, and Owen Ball but it was Shoreham who struck with 2 goals in 2 minutes midway through the first half. First a run down the wing saw the ball eventually turned into his own net by the unfortunate Josh Brown while moments later Owen Callaghan converted a similar ball into the box.

The Blues were handed a route back into the contest five minutes before half time when Steve Morris rose above his marker to get the final touch to Day's corner to reduce the arrears.

Sidley dominated the second period but had to wait until the final 10 minutes before they got their rewards. The introduction of Darren Witham and Jordan Wood freshened the side up and it was Wood's cross from the right which set up Scott McDonald to equalise, having been left completely unmarked in the penalty area.

The third Sidley goal came on 85 minutes as goalkeeper Peter Newstead's free kick picked out Morris whose clever backheel released Witham and his cross into the middle was met by a thumping header by Peter Baker.

Sidley then made sure of the points when Morris repeated his earlier finish by getting above his man at a corner to head home and secure the 3 points.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, Henham, Whiteman, Brown (J Wood), Ball (Witham), Willard, Day (Parsons), S Morris, McDonald, Baker.

Sidley United 0 - 2 Rye United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 26th December 2006

Sidley United endured another disappointing boxing day as local rivals Rye United took the Boxing Day spoils.

Rye appeared more 'up for it' than the hosts and it was no shock when Andy Garman scored after 30 minutes after a strong run into the box before firing high into the net. Just prior to the goal Steve Morris had forced former Sidley man Jon Gardner in the Rye goal into a magnificent double save.

And Sidley were doubly up against it as Marc Gall was left free and he headed home on 60 minutes to double the visitors lead.

Sidley put the Rye goal under almost constant pressure but a combination of Gardner's form and their own poor finishing cost them. Nick Whiteman, Josh Brown, Scott McDonald and Graham Morris were all denied by the Rye stopper while Baker put one attempt just wide and hit the wall from a free kick.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, Witham (Brown), Whiteman (G Morris), Henham, Willard, Funnell, J Wood (Day), McDonald, Baker, S Morris.

Worthing United 1 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 16th December 2006

Sidley United inched away from the bottom three with a crucial win at second bottom Worthing United.

The Blues were forced into a couple of changes with Dave Henham taking over as sweeper behind Nick Whiteman and Paul Henty with Owen Ball reverting to his more favoured right wing role while in goal young Richard Abson-Bennett made his debut in the absence of Peter Newstead.

Sidley went in front on 17 minutes as Steve Morris' ball over the top released Jordan Wood who cut in from the left, beat a couple of defenders, and unleashed a cracking drive into the net from just inside the penalty area.

Another fine goal just before half time made it 2 - 0 as Peter Baker exchanged passes with Morris before firing home and they went close to more through Baker, Scott McDonald and Jimmy Watson.

Worthing gave themselves a lifeline with 15 minutes to go as Mark Price's sweetly struck shot found the bottom corner of the net but Blues responded as Henham got the final touch to a corner and the ball was adjudged to have crossed the line before being cleared.

Sidley Team: Abson-Bennett, Henham, Whiteman, Henty (Parsons), Ball, J Wood, Willard, Watson, S Morris (Funnell), McDonald, Baker (Miles).

Oakwood 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 9th December 2006

Sidley United had two strong penalty appeals turned down as they slipped to defeat at Oakwood in their first game for a month.

Sidley had good opportunities to take hold of the game but both Peter Baker and Scott McDonald couldn't convert their chances.

The home side took the lead on 25 minutes through Liam Hunter's close range finish before Blues claimed for a penalty when Scott McDonald appeared to be taken out in the area but the referee was unmoved.

In the second half Lee Butcher doubled Oakwood's lead with an effort from 25 yards which flew in off the post before they themselves were awarded a penalty for a shirt pull in the area which Saunders kept out with a low save.

Blues reduced the arrears soon after when Baker raced onto Jimmy Watson's through ball to finish before Sidley had another unsuccessful penalty shout when Dave Henham appeared to receive a chest high block at a corner. 

Sidley almost set up camp in the Oakwood half thereafter but couldn't force the equaliser. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman (Henham), Temple, Ball (Henty), Willard, Watson, S Morris (Funnell), Witham, J Wood, Baker, McDonald.

Croydon 3 - 1 Sidley United - FA Vase Second Round - Saturday 18th November 2006

Sidley United went out of the FA Vase after they were comfortably beaten away at Croydon.

After only 8 minutes Ray Freeman burst down the left of the Sidley penalty area. It appeared the danger had been dealt with but Saunders hesitated and Freeman dispossessed him to score easily.

Matt Fowler made it 2 on 22 minutes as he chased a long ball forward and he beat Saunders, who appeared to have mis-judged his angles. And only 5 minutes later Neil John toe-poked home Croydon's third to practically wrap the game up before half time.

Sidley rallied in the second half by switching to three up front and pulled a goal back through Peter Baker 10 minutes from time but a comeback rarely looked likely and was indeed certainly ended when Micky O'Callaghan was sent off for foolishly lashing out at an opponent off the ball.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Ball, Temple (G Morris), Willard, Witham, O'Callaghan, Watson, J Wood (Brown), McDonald, Baker, S Morris.

Sidley United 1 - 5 Arundel - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th November

Sidley United were thumped at home by Arundel on Saturday on a day to forget.

The game was effectively over by half time as the visitors raced into a three goal lead. Matt Huckett struck after just 3 minutes with his free kick going straight through a rather flimsy Sidley wall and into the net. 

Three minutes later and it was 2 - 0 as Peter Newstead rushed off his line rather too quickly, enabling Scott Tipper to lob him comfortably. The third goal was a touch fortunate as Huckett appeared to be trying to control the ball when it looped up off his boot and landed in the back of the net.

Sidley came out determined to give it a go in the second half and they got one back on 60 minutes as Scott McDonald lashed home from outside the area following a Darren Witham free kick.

But Arundel added further goals from Stuart Hack and Huckett who completed his hat-trick after Newstead had kept out an initial effort.

Sidley also had a scare when Stuart Weston had to be substituted after having difficulty breathing. The player was treated in the back of an ambulance after hyper-ventilating but appears to be fully recovered now.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Witham, Temple (Ball), G Morris, L Wood, Brown (Weedon), Watson, Willard, McDonald, Weston (J Wood), S Morris.

Eastbourne Town 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 8th November 2006

Sidley United saw an early second half lead turn into a late defeat at The Saffrons on Wednesday.

The Blues almost took the lead on 20 minutes but Scott McDonald's effort was underhit after some hesitant home defending had left goalkeeper Greg Nessling well out of his goal.

Town rallied and were unlucky not to take the lead on 37 minutes when former Tottenham Hotspur and Brighton & Hove Albion man John Piercy's free kick was touched onto the post.

Blues took the lead from the penalty spot in the 47th minute after a foul by Shaun Brownall on McDonald allowed Steve Morris to slot home.

But Liam Baitup snatched an equaliser when he glanced home a Town free kick before Danny Simmonds netted the winnder five minutes with a rather mis-hit shot which deflected off a defender and past Jon Saunders in the Sidley goal.

Sidley Team: Saunders, L Wood, Willard, Temple, Witham, Weedon (G Morris), Watson, Weston, McDonald (J Wood), O'Callaghan, S Morris.

Sidley United 3 - 0 Worthing United - SCFA RUR Cup Third Round - Saturday 4th November 2006

Sidley United exacted some revenge for their earlier FA Cup defeat as they saw off Worthing United to set up a Quarter final tie with either Hailsham Town or Lingfield.

They opened the scoring in the 15th minute when a Peter Baker corner was met by Lee Wood at the far post and Scott McDonald headed home.

But Sidley became sloppy after that and endured a couple of scares, one resulting in Jon Saunders having to make a good save with his feet.

The second half was a different story though as Sidley played some attractive football. Their cause was helped by the dismissal of a Worthing player for an ugly challenge from behind on Stuart Weston.

And they used that man advantage to take the game away from Worthing as Baker clinically dispatched Weston's low cross on 65 minutes before Jimmy Watson teed up Jordan Wood for a splendid third goal on 82 minutes.

Sidley Team: Saunders, L Wood, Willard, Temple, Witham, Weedon, Watson, Weston (Brown), McDonald, Baker (J Wood), S Morris (Ward). 

Sidley United 1 - 1 Ringmer - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 31st October 2006

Sidley United recovered from a horror first half to claim a draw on Halloween night.

Ringmer started impressively and led through Dan Evans' long range strike on 14 minutes and they could have added more in a dominant first half. Matt Beeston's shot cannoned off the underside of the Sidley crossbar before Charlie Stagg was kept out by Saunders.

Sidley almost levelled in comical terms as Ringmer goalkeeper Matt May almost fumbled the ball over the line but was adjudged to have just kept it out.

After the break though Sidley were a different proposition and Steve Morris forced a smart save out of May before Perry Weedon's 40 yard rocket came back off the crossbar.

But just as it looked like it wasn't going to come Scott McDonald equalised on 85 minutes, sweeping the ball home from 12 yards after good work down the right by Morris to ensure the Blues took home a point.

Sidley Team: Saunders, L Wood, Whiteman (Henham, Weedon), Temple, Witham, Willard, Watson, O'Callaghan, McDonald, Weston, S Morris.

Sidley United 1 - 1 Selsey - SCFL Division One - Saturday 28th October 2006

Sidley United had to overcome a number of first half injuries to claim a late draw thanks to Steve Morris.

Goalkeeper Peter Newstead as well as outfield players Owen Ball and Keith Miles all had to be replaced before the half time whistle after picking up knocks.

The changes meant that the Blues never really got into any kind of rhythm and it looked like they were going to slip to a defeat when Daren Pearce stabbed home with only 5 minutes remaining.

But Sidley managed to claim a draw with 2 minutes to go as Morris converted a perfectly placed header from Stuart Weston's dink into the area.

The Blues may have won it right at the death but Darren Witham saw his shot take a deflection which helped carry it into the midriff of the Selsey goalkeeper.

Sidley Team: Newstead (Saunders), Ball (L Wood), Whiteman, Temple, Witham, Willard, Watson, McDonald, Miles (J Wood), Weston, S Morris.

Three Bridges 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 21st October 2006

Scott McDonald struck an excellent debut goal for Sidley United as they claimed a draw at Three Bridges.

He had the ball in the net early on but found the offside flag denied him. But in the 39th minute he picked up the ball from Jimmy Watson and hit a half volley from 25 yards which flashed beyond the Bridges' goalkeeper and into the net to give Blues the lead.

It didn't last long though as Bridges equalised four minutes later when some hesitant defending allowed Russell Mortimer to score.

Both teams had chances to grab all three points but it was Bridges who came closest 10 minutes from time when a shot thundered against the crossbar.

Given that Sidley were missing a number of players through injury though, they could come away somewhat satisfied with a point.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, Whiteman, Temple, J Wood, Witham, Willard, Watson, Ward (Weston), Miles (Johnson), McDonald. 

Sidley United 2 - 0 Chichester City - SCFL Division One - Saturday 14th October 2006

Two pieces of magic in front of goal were enough to settle this contest in Sidley's favour on Saturday. 

Chichester had more shots and corners than the Blues but it counted for little in the end. Scott Murfin did have a goal disallowed for offside early on before Paul Jones placed a free header wide of the mark for the visitors. Sidley's best chance fell to Peter Baker who skewed wide from a good position.

In the second half though, Sidley showed them how to finish as Baker struck a quality free kick into the top corner of the net on 51 minutes after a somewhat harsh decision on Chichester.

And nine minutes later Jimmy Watson burst through the middle at the end of a flowing move and his shot ended up in the roof of the net despite goalkeeper Anthony Ender getting something on the ball.

Murfin had a low strike well saved by the returning Peter Newstead in the Sidley goal and Lee Paul couldn't quite reach high enough to direct his header on target while Watson had a header hacked off the goal-line at the other end.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Temple, Ball, Whiteman, Witham, Willard, Watson (Johnson), Miles, J Wood (Brown), Baker, S Morris (Ward).

Sidley United 0 - 5 Hailsham Town - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 10th October 2006

Sidley United suffered a home horror show as Danny Leach bagged a hat-trick as Hailsham cruised to a win.

The visitors looked threatening from the off and unleashed an incredible 29 shots on goal over the 90 minutes. Ironically, Sidley actually came closest early on as Dave Ward shaved the post with an effort but after that it was one-way traffic.

Simon Stephens was left unmarked to prod home at the second attempt after meeting Nick Burden's set piece delivery. Scott French made it 2 - 0 in first half stoppage time as he ghosted past Lee Wood and Owen Ball before picking out the corner of the net after a magnificent run.

Leach had already missed a gilt-edged chance and struck the angle of the post and bar with a rasping strike before he eventually did grab his first of the evening, driving in Peter Cooper's square pass on 74 minutes.

Leach got his second on 80 minutes with a shot from the edge of the area and completed his hat trick in stoppage time having been played in on goal by Stuart Lewis.

Sidley had Adam Day sent off for pushing his head into Steve Monk within 4 minutes of making his comeback from injury as a substitute, while Monk was unbelievably only booked for the horrendous tackle which prompted Day's action.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Witham (Day), Ball, Whiteman, L Wood, Willard, Ward (Miles), O'Callaghan, J Wood (Brown), Baker, S Morris.

Sidley United 3 - 2 Arundel - FA Vase First Round - Saturday 7th October 2006

Sidley United progressed into the second round of the FA Vase after a cracking match against Arundel.

Nick Whiteman headed Sidley into a 2nd minute lead when he met Peter Baker's corner. Steve Morris then forced a smart save from Arundel goalkeeper Steve Colbourne before Baker flashed a good opportunity across goal.

Arundel came more into the game and only a great save by Jon Saunders prevented Matt Huckett from equalising before the young goalkeeper then tipped an effort onto the crossbar.

While chances came and went for both sides, Arundel were the team to strike when they equalised in the 58th minute as Simon Clayton dinked the ball over the onrushing Saunders. The visitors could then have been awarded a penalty as Saunders slid in on Huckett who was forced to hurdle the challenge and somewhat bizarrely was booked for a supposed dive.

That bit of luck served Sidley well and they retook the lead through another wonderful Baker free kick from the edge of the penalty area before they too claimed a penalty as Jordan Wood was brought down but again the referee gave nothing. 

Sidley looked to have secured it when they struck again on 77 minutes through Steve Morris' cool finish but Dave Walker set up a grandstand finish by blasting home for Arundel with 5 minutes to go.

During the final moments, Darren Witham hit the crossbar for Sidley while Arundel had another penalty appeal - this time for handball - waved away before Saunders made a brave stop to deny two onrushing forwards from turning the ball over the line.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Witham, Ball, Whiteman, L Wood, Brown (J Wood), Willard, Weedon (Ward), O'Callaghan, Baker, S Morris.

Sidley United 2 - 0 East Preston - SCFA RUR Cup Second Round - Tuesday 3rd October 2006

A goal in each half saw Sidley United through to the third round of the SCFA cup with an impressive win over East Preston and a potential grudge match against Worthing United in Round Three. 

Steve Morris grabbed the first with a superb header from almost the edge of the penalty area, powering in Owen Ball's free kick.

But Peter Baker outdid him in the second half when from 30 yards out wide on the right he beat the goalkeeper who was only slightly off his line to double Blues' lead.

Morris might have had a second goal soon after and Darren Witham, Josh Brown and Baker all went close while at the other end East Preston were limited to a handful of half chances.

Worthing United, who knocked Sidley out of the FA Cup early in the season, await in the next round if they overcome Rye United.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, Henty, Whiteman, Brown, Witham, Willard, Weedon (J Wood), Miles, Baker, S Morris (Johnson).

Hassocks 0 - 1 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup Second Round - Wednesday 27th September 2006

A stunning Peter Baker strike made it 4 wins in a row for Sidley and earned them a place in the third round of the John O Hara cup.

The game kicked off 15 minutes late due to the late arrival of the referee but both teams quickly found their feet in this evenly contested match.

Peter Newstead had to be on top form to keep out one effort before Sidley failed to make the best of a couple of half chances.

That changed though 10 minutes before half time as the ball fell to Baker on the edge of the area after Steve Morris' drive had been blocked by a defender and his half volley screamed into the top of the net to put Blues in front.

Hassocks switched to a 3-5-2 formation after the break and had Blues under a degree of pressure but the substitution of Keith Miles seemed to help stabilise Sidley who then went close through Micky O'Callaghan, Craig Willard and Morris.

Hassocks were reduced to 10 men for the final quarter of an hour after a two footed tackle on Baker by one of their players which helped Sidley see out the game. They will entertain either Chichester City United or Lingfield in Round Three.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, L Wood, Whiteman, Willard, Weedon (Miles), O'Callaghan, Witham, Brown (J Wood), S Morris, Baker.

Westfield (Surrey) 1 - 3 Sidley United - FA Vase - Saturday 23rd September 2006

Last season's FA Vase adventure was the best Sidley United had ever enjoyed in the competition and they took their first steps towards repeating it as they came from behind to see off Westfield from Surrey.

With Westfield's ground unavailable, the tie was switched to Gullivers but the first half provided few memorable moments with Peter Baker and Graham Morris both missing the target with Sidley's best opportunities while at the other end Peter Newstead was seldom called into action in the Sidley goal.

But David Chinn put Westfield in front 10 minutes into the second half to cause something of a shock and in turn Sidley started to realise they would have to dig deep as Vactor Kiri, Shan Genagasmy and Chinn all enjoyed sights of goal shortly afterwards.

But the game swung in Sidley's favour as Morris headed home Baker's 65th minute free kick and the Blues never looked back after that.

Two goals in the space of a minute ultimately secured the win for Sidley. First Steve Morris pounced on a misunderstanding between Phil Parsons and goalkeeper Geoff Smyrk to put Blues in front on 78 minutes before almost immediately after the restart Morris glanced Newstead's long kick forward into the path of Darren Witham who sent over the perfect cross for Baker to sweep home into the bottom corner.

Sidley Team: Newstead, L Wood, Whiteman (Ball), G Morris, Brown (Wooller), Willard, O'Callaghan, Witham, J Wood (Weedon), Baker, S Morris.

Sidley United 3 - 0 Peacehaven & Telscombe - John O Hara Cup First Round - Saturday 16th September 2006

Sidley United comfortably dispatched Division Two side Peacehaven & Telscombe to seal a place in the second round of the John O Hara cup.

The Blues did suffer an early scare when Peter Newstead had to scoop the ball out from a position that many believed had crossed the line.

But aside from that moment he had little else to do as Sidley gradually got on top of their opponents. They opened the scoring towards the end of the first half with an excellent strike by Steve Morris after a clever dummy by Callum Wooller allowed space to open up for him.

Wooller and Peter Baker were both denied by last ditch tackles and Craig Willard fired just too high from a good position. The second goal did arrive though on the hour mark as Owen Ball crossed from a short corner and Nick Whiteman powered home a header.

The Blues made sure of the win with a goal on 74 minutes from Wooller who was allowed time to turn and run before arrowing a 25 yard strike into the top corner of the net.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, Whiteman, Henty, Witham, Willard, Wooller (Weedon), Brown (Ball), J Wood, Baker, S Morris (Aston). 

Littlehampton Town 0 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 9th September 2006

It wasn't the prettiest game of football but Sidley United came back from their trip to rock bottom Littlehampton Town with 3 much needed points.

The Blues made a couple of changes with Paul Henty coming in for Graham Morris and Jordan Wood replacing Dave Temple as Sidley continued their now famiilar 3-5-2 formation.

They appeared nervous early on and were grateful to take the lead through Steve Morris' header in the 23rd minute which helped settle them down.

Morris doubled the Blues lead on 42 minutes although the home goalkeeper will be disappointed not to have kept out his low free kick.

In the second half Littlehampton delivered a number of excellent crosses into the box from set plays but Blues' goalkeeper Peter Newstead was relatively untroubled. Sidley gave a run out to 16 year old Jack Aston late on while Peter Baker was a whisker away from making it 3 - 0 with a brilliant left foot volley which came back off the crossbar.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty (G Morris), Witham (Aston), Whiteman, L Wood, Willard, J Wood, Brown, Miles, Baker, S Morris (Temple).

Hailsham Town 3 - 0 Sidley United - Sussex Senior Cup Round One - Tuesday 5th September 2006

Sidley United were knocked out of a second cup in the space of three days as they went down by three goals to Hailsham Town.

In truth the Blues were rather toothless and rarely troubled the home defence, having made a number of changes from the game against Worthing United on Saturday. 

Danny Leach bundled Hailsham into the lead just before the break to give the home side a deserved lead and things got worse for Sidley in the second half when the referee awarded the home side a hotly contested penalty when Martin Richardson was felled in the area in the midst of a scramble. Confusion about who actually brought him down led to some raised tempers but when it calmed down Peter Cooper calmly stroked home the spot kick.

As the final whistle approached, Cooper swivelled effortlessly beyond his marker and unleashed a curling shot which fizzed past Peter Newstead in the Sidley goal to put the seal on the win for the home side.

Hailsham will entertain Division Two side Midhurst & Easebourne in the next round.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Temple (Ward), Whiteman, Henty, Witham, Willard, G Morris, L Wood, Miles, Baker, S Morris (Wooller).

Sidley United 0 - 1 Worthing United - FA Cup - Sunday 3rd September 2006

Sidley United are out of the FA Cup after narrowly losing out to league rivals Worthing United.

The Blues shaded the first half and went close when Peter Baker's shot was saved by visiting goalkeeper Dan Sweitlik's legs while Jimmy Watson had a good penalty appeal turned down. At the other end a timely last ditch challenge by Josh Brown prevented Worthing a clean strike on goal.

After the interval Sidley were much more on top and had several chances to take charge of the tie. Shae Spreafico, in his last appearance before returning to Liverpool, brought a smart save out of Sweitlik before the Worthing goalkeeper made a terrific stop to keep out Watson's downward header.

But the Blues were hit by a sucker punch as Dan Azimi unleashed a sweet first-time volley into the roof of Peter Newstead's net to seal the tie in the 73rd minute.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Witham (G Morris), Henty, Whiteman, L Wood (Miles), Willard, Watson, Brown (J Wood), Spreafico, Baker, S Morris.

Crowborough Athletic 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Monday 28th August 2006

Sidley United slipped to defeat at Crowborough on Bank Holiday Monday having played for over 80 minutes with 10 men.

Paul Henty was shown a straight red card when he was penalised for hauling down an Athletic forward in the box although he was adamant that it was goalkeeper Peter Newstead who committed the foul. The referee disagreed though and Dave Adams stroked home the resulting penalty.

Rather than feeling sorry for themselves though, Sidley went on to dominate the next hour of the match with Shae Spreafico in scintillating form. Countless times Crowborough players resorted to fouling him as they couldn't get near him and it was on one of those occasions that Sidley won a penalty when he was brought down in the area with Peter Baker stepping up to level the scores.

However in the second half Sidley legs began to tire after some terrific work by Craig Willard and Jimmy Watson in the midfield in paritcular. Crowborough had Kieran Brown sent off 10 minutes from time for an ugly challenge on Watson but despite this boost, Sidley couldn't raise their game.

And Crowborough struck the winning goal when Ross Treleaven hit a terrific volley which looped into the corner of Newstead's net to condemn Sidley to a somewhat harsh defeat.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Temple, Whiteman, Henty, Witham (J Wood), Watson, Brown, Spreafico, Baker, S Morris.

Shoreham 5 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 26th August 2006

Sidley United's perfect start to the season came to a shuddering halt as four goals in the space of 7 minutes condemned them to defeat to Shoreham.

The Blues took the lead after 27 minutes when Jimmy Watson volleyed home after neat build up play by Josh Brown but Shoreham levelled on 36 minutes through Richard Carter.

A decisive moment came early in the second half as Watson appeared to have his shirt pulled in the area at a corner but the referee instead awarded a free kick just outside the area which Darren Witham fired wide. 

And Shoreham took advantage of that slice of luck to take the lead through Shaheen Sadough on 70 minutes. That opened the floodgates as Carter struck again shortly afterwards before Dean Venton and Stuart Garrod completed the home scoring within minutes of each other.

Shae Spreafico pulled one back for Sidley a minute from time when he converted Jordan Wood's pull back but it was a mere consolation.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Temple, L Wood (G Morris), Whiteman, Brown, Watson, Willard, S Morris (Wooller), Witham (J Wood), Baker, Spreafico.

Lymington Town 0 - 4 Sidley United - FA Cup - Sunday 20th August 2006

Sidley United created a piece of club history as they recorded their first ever FA Cup away win at Wessex Premier outfit Lymington Town.

The home side were the better side in the first half and only a wonder save from Peter Newstead kept them out. But it was the Blues who went in at the break in front through Peter Baker's sweet strike in the 20th minute.

In the second half however it was all Sidley and Shae Spreafico scored 5 minutes into the half as he latched onto Steve Morris' chipped pass and flicked the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper.

Spreafico rounded off a good team move on 55 minutes before completing his hat trick in the 78th minute when he converted a Darren Witham pass.

The only downside for the Blues was the sight of defender Adam Quinn being taken to hospital with a dislocated shoulder.

Blues' reward is a home tie against league rivals Worthing United in the next round.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Quinn (Henty), Whiteman, L Wood, Witham, Willard, Watson, Brown, Spreafico (J Wood), Baker (Miles), S Morris.

Eastbourne United Association 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 15th August 2006

Sidley United continued their perfect start to the new season thanks to new signing Darren Witham's strike at Eastbourne United.

The first half proved to be a mostly scrappy affair despite some industrious wing play from Eastbourne's wide men Nathan Crabb and Ben Billings.

But the decisive moment came on the half hour mark and it was a moment to forget for home goalkeeper Sam Reed who seemed confident that Witham's hopeful lob would sail over his crossbar, only to find the ball nestle in the back of the net behind him.

The Blues appeared happy to play the long ball game, utilising the pace of Shae Spreafico who was a constant threat to the home side. Eastbourne's best chance came on the stroke of half time when Sam Edwards forced a fine save out of goalkeeper Peter Newstead while Jimmy Watson struck the post for Sidley with a curling effort.

Sidley spent much of the second half camped outside their goalmouth as Eastbourne mounted constant pressure. The final ball was lacking however and Bradley Manton's drilled effort was the only real test for Newstead.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Quinn, Whiteman, L Wood, Witham, Willard, Watson, Brown, Spreafico, Miles (J Wood), S Morris.

Wick 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 12th August 2006

Sidley United claimed an opening day win away to much fancied opposition thanks to goals from Lee Wood and Shae Spreafico.

Wick have intentions of finishing in the top three this season but it was the Blues who thoroughly merited this win and had they produced some better finishing in the final quarter, the scoreline could have been even greater.

Both sides came close to an early goal but Josh Brown, making his debut for Sidley, was in the right place to deny Phil Turner before Peter Baker wasted a glorious chance for the Blues by heading over from 8 yards out.

Wick took the lead on 33 minutes when a precise pass from Tom Mantom picked out the run of Turner who slotted beyond Peter Newstead.

Sidley were back on level terms 4 minutes later as a corner from the right ran free towards Wood who's prod towards goal had enough to trickle over the line.

The second half began with a bang as Newstead made a terrific fingertip save to keep out Manton's header before Sidley immediately got the winning goal. Slick play in the inside right channel was finished off by Spreafico's driven finish which gave Wick goalkeeper Wes Hallett no chance.

Callum Wooller, Steve Morris, Keith Miles and Spreafico all went close as Sidley threatened to increase their lead but in the end the Blues came away with the one goal win.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, Whiteman, Wood, Witham, Wilard, Watson, Brown (Wooller), Spreafico, Baker (Miles), S Morris.




Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2023/24Join us on Facebook