Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2008/09


Crawley Down 3 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 2nd May 2009


Westfield 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 28th April 2009


Peacehaven & Telscombe 3 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 21st April 2009


Sidley United 3 - 2 Bexhill United - SCFL Division Two - Monday 13th April 2009


Midhurst & Easebourne 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 11th April 2009


Sidley United 0 - 1 Mile Oak - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 4th April 2009


Sidley United 2 - 1 Rye United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 31st March 2009


Sidley United 4 - 1 Lancing - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 28th March 2009


Sidley United 1 - 0 Loxwood - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 14th March 2009


Sidley United 3 - 2 Southwick - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 7th March 2009

Sidley United won this tight encounter thanks to Craig Willard's late penalty. 

Chris Honey scored the Blues' opening two goals but Southwick looked like taking away a point until Willard's late spot kick sealed the win for the home side.

Rye United 3 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 3rd March 2009

Sidley United suffered a first defeat of 2009 as Rye came from behind to win with 2 goals in the final 10 minutes.

In dreadful conditions Sidley took the lead thanks to Adam Day's 17th minute penalty but Rye equalised in freak fashion as Scott Price's hopeful ball into the box got caught in the wind and looped over Jon Saunders in the Sidley goal.

In the second period Saunders made two good saves from Duncan McArthur and an even better one from Lewis Parsons and it looked as if they may hold out for a draw.

However the resistance was broken on 84 minutes when a penalty was awarded against Jamie Podmore for handball and McArthur stepped up to slot home the resulting penalty.

And as Sidley pushed forward in stoppage time, McArthur sealed both his hat-trick and the win for Rye.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Whiteman, Poole, Hill (Payne), Podmore, Willard, Brand (Watson), Day, O'Callaghan, Honey.

Wealden 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 28th February 2009


Sidley United 0 - 0 Steyning Town - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 21st February 2009


Sidley United 1 - 1 Eastbourne Borough - Friendly - Monday 16th February 2009

It was a poignant night at Gullivers on Monday as Sidley United opened the new 'Duffell-Cox' stand with a friendly against a strong Eastbourne Borough side.

The parents of both players, who tragically died in a car accident in 2003, cut the ribbon to officially open the new stand before kick off in front of a crowd of over 300, followed by an impeccably observed minutes silence. 

When it came to the game, Borough often dominated possession as expected but Sidley defended doggedly to limit them to few chances. Matt Smart and Pat Harding both forced Saunders in the Sidley goal to make smart saves while at the other end Micky O'Callaghan headed over from virtually on the goalline.

In the second half Andy Atkin failed to make the most of a good opportunity for Borough before Adam Day put Sidley in front from the penalty spot after Gregg Berry was bundled over.

However Sidley were denied the win by a late strike from Ben Austin who scored via the woodwork following a free kick. However the result was immaterial on a night Sidley remembered two of their own.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Elliott-Noye, McEniry, Podmore, Corenlius, Brand, Day, Willard, O'Callaghan, Honey. Subs (all used): Watson, Hill, Collier, White, Berry, Bourne.

Lancing 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 31st January 2009

Sidley United recorded an excellent away win on Saturday.

Lancing began strongly and had a goal ruled out  when Rob O'Toole put the ball into the net following a clash between Phil Churchill and Jon Saunders, with the Sidley goalkeeper being awarded a free kick.

However Lancing did take the lead midway through the first half as a Darren Boswell shot fell to Ryan Loversidge to bury the ball past Saunders and give the home side a half time lead.

Sidley though enjoyed a resurgent second half and they equalised when O'Callaghan's low cross was converted from close range by Chris Honey.

A draw was looking likely but right at the end substitute Gregg Berry burst into the Lancing box before calmly slotting past the home goalkeeper to give Sidley all three points.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Hill (Berry), Podmore, Poole, Willard, Cornelius, Day, Brand (Elliott-Noye), O'Callaghan (White), Honey.

Sidley United 3 - 1 Rustington - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 24th January 2009


Sidley United 3 - 0 Crawley Down - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 17th January 2008


Bexhill United 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Friday 26th December 2008


Sidley United 2 - 2 Littlehampton Town - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 20th December 2008


Mile Oak 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 6th December 2008


Sidlesham 2 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 29th November 2008


Sidley United 2 - 4 Lancing - Division Two Challenge Cup Second Round - Saturday 22nd November 2008

Sidley United lost to Lancing in a second cup competition in two months as they bowed out of the Division Two Challenge Cup.

In an entertaining match Lancing struck first as Adam Burton headed a cross into the net on 19 minutes to give the visitors the lead.

The rest of the first half saw both sides create a couple of presentable opportunities but unable to convert them. 

Sidley hauled themselves level straight after the restart as Chris Honey glanced home Craig Willard's cross. That goal galvanised Lancing who went back in front on the hour mark as Adam Hunt struck a thunderous free kick into the roof of Saunders' net.

On 67 minutes Button made it 3 - 1 to the visitors with a low finish from the right of the penalty area but Honey reduced the arrears minutes later as a misunderstanding between goalkeeper and defender allowed him a simple finish.

Dan Hill and Adam Day went close on as Sidley pressed forward but Lancing wrapped up the game on the counter attack on 87 minutes as Bryan O'Toole turned and shot into the corner to seal the win.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Andrews (McEniry), Cornelius, Poole, Podmore, Willard, Brand, Day, Styles (Hill), Honey.

Sidley United 2 - 2 Seaford Town - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 15th November 2008

It was a disappointing result for the Blues as they twice let a lead slip against 10 man Seaford Town. 

Blues led after 14 minutes when Brad Poole's long range shot slipped through the goalkeeper's hands and into the net.

Sidley had a great chance to double their lead just before the interval. Defender Sean Brownell was penalised for pulling the shirt of a Sidley player in the area and the referee awarded Blues a penalty as well as showing Brownell a red card.

However Craig Willard's penalty was kept out and Seaford then levelled through a penalty of their own in the second half as Drew Greenall was fouled and he stepped up to score the spot kick.

Josh Elliott-Noye thought he had won the game for the Blues when he rose highest to head home a corner but into stoppage time the ball fell to Greenall who turned the ball home to steal a point for the visitors.

Sidley United 3 - 3 Storrington - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 8th November 2008


Littlehampton Town 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 25th October 2008


Sidley United 1 - 4 Lancing - Sussex Senior Cup First Round - Saturday 18th October 2008

Sidley United suffered a disappointing home defeat as they bowed out of the Cup.

Blues had the first team opportunity as a Dan Hill cross fell into the path of Matt Cornelius who's shot was just too high. Lancing though took the lead as a Bryan O'Toole cross from the right was headed into the far corner by Adam Burton despite Saunders' best efforts to keep it out and Burton then added a second before the break.

Early in the second half a fantstic through ball beat the Sidley offside trap and allowed Button to neatly complete his hat-trick. Sidley rallied and pulled a goal back through Nicky Styles' low strike but this proved to be as good as it got for the Blues as Lancing added a fourth through Darren Boswell late on.

A disappointing result for the Blues against a tough Lancing outfit.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Andews, McEniry, Whiteman, Elliott-Noye, Cornelius, Willard, Hill, Styles, Collier (Ray).

Sidley United 0 - 5 Westfield - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 14th October 2008


Storrington 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 11th October 2008


Sidley United 2 - 2 Peacehaven & Telscombe - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 7th October 2008


Rustington 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 4th October 2008


Sidley United 1 - 1 Wealden - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 30th September 2008


Sidley United 4 - 1 Sidlesham - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 27th September 2008


Sidley United 3 - 1 Midhurst & Easebourne - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 20th September 2008


Steyning Town 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 13th September 2008


Ringmer 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFA RUR Cup - Tuesday 9th September 2008

Sidley United exited the RUR cup away to higher grade Ringmer on Tuesday.

The hosts took the lead after 12 minutes as Blues' goalkeeper Jon Saunders lost the ball at a corner and Craig Brown's left foot strike found the back of the net.

Sidley found themselves camped inside their own half during the first half and Ringmer had another goal disallowed for offside.

In the second half Ringmer doubled their lead as Brown got his second with a simple tap in. But Sidley responsed and pulled a goal back through Chris Honey's far post header after 52 minutes.

The second half was a much more even affair and while Ringmer had chances they were grateful for a goal line clearance to deny Sidley drawing level.

The Blues dominated the closing stages but Zac McEniry's late drive from distance which flew over the bar was as close as they came to an equaliser which would have forced extra time.

Eastbourne Town 2 - 1 Sidley United - FA Cup - Sunday 30th August 2008

Sidley United exited the FA Cup at higher grade Eastbourne Town in a game marred by a serious injury to Craig Willard.

Half time arrived with nothing much to note thanks largely to the impressive performances of both goalkeepers. In the second half Town took the lead through Danny Leach on 60 minutes but it was shortly afterwards that the main talking point of the match arrived.

Willard appeared to be on the end of a forearm smash by Town player Shaun Loft, causing Willard to be taken straight to hospital with blood pouring and his nose severely out of shape. Incredibly Loft was only shown a yellow card prompting a fierce exchange of words between the two benches.

Back to the football and Eastbourne thought they had sealed the win in the second minute of stoppage time as Greg Manton scored but Stuart Collier pulled one back almost straight away after a driving run by Micky O'Callaghan. 

However Sidley had left it too late to get the equaliser and despite a heroic effort it was Town who progressed to the next round of the Cup.

Southwick 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 23rd August 2008


Sidley United 4 - 2 Farnham Town - FA Cup - Sunday 17th August 2008

Sidley United won their opening FA Cup match of the season thanks to a hat-trick from Stuart Collier.

On an overcast Sunday afternoon, United fell behind after 7 minutes to Richard McCann's low strike. However the Blues rallied and Collier brought them level in the 48th minute after a mistake by the Farnham goalkeeper.

Steve Harding restored Farnham's lead on 62 minutes but Brian Ray again brought Sidley level with a smart flick just three minutes later.

Blues then went in front for the first time as Ian May's long throw was flicked on by Brad Poole and turned home by Collier.

Farnham pushed forward and had a goal disallowed in the 84th minute for a push but Sidley wrapped the game up in the 6th minute of stoppage time as Collier completed his hat-trick and Sidley booked a tie against Eastbourne Town in the next round.

Seaford Town 4 - 1 Sidley United SCFL Division Two - Wednesday 13th August 2008

Sidley United concdeded another 4 goal haul on Wednesday as their poor start to the season continued at Seaford. 

With the wind in their favour, Seaford had the Blues on the back foot for most of the first half but went in at the break only a goal to the good. Owen Ball pulled Tom Callaghan's shirt in the penalty area and the same player converted the resulting spot kick.

With the Blues remaining on the back foot for most of the second half it was no surprise that the home side scored again with Drew Greenall breaking the offside trap before calmly finishing on 61 minutes.

On 68 minutes Kieran Perkins got in on the act before Seaford's fourth arrived on 78 minutes as Alex Keaney scored directly from a corner.

Sidley at least did notch their first goal of the campaign as Stuart Collier grabbed a consolation 7 minutes from time but it made little difference to the outcome and Sidley went home still yet to register a point in the new campaign.

Loxwood 4 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 9th August 2008

Sidley United endured a nightmare return to Division Two football as they slumped to a heavy opening day defeat at Loxwood.

Last seasons Division Three champions romped to a comfortable win thanks to braces from Nick Tilley and Graham Grantham.

Sidley will be concerned about the nature of the defeat and will be hoping for a dramatic improvement in the coming matches.







Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley programme

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2015/16Join us on Facebook